Why and How ?
Clouding of eye’s natural transparent lens is called Cataract. It is the most common cause of vision loss and blindness in people over 60 years of age. It causes a gradual dimness or blurring of vision . But as it progresses, it leads to significant decrease of vision. It can develop in either or both eyes and is generally of following two types:
Age Related Cataract – appear later in life because of ageing and can be:
- Nuclear cataract that affect the center of the lens
- Cortical cataract that develop in the lens cortex
- Posterior sub capsular cataract that affect the back of the lens
- Congenital Cataract is present either when the baby is born, or develops shortly after birth.
- Complicated or Secondary Cataract: This is a type of cataract that develops in eyes that already have a co-existing eye problem which may be a disease( a high myopia,uveitis,),degeneration ( glaucoma,retinal detachment or retinitis pigmentosa)or surgery (glaucoma and retinal detachment)